I read somewhere that everyone should be able to rattle off a list of 10 things that make them happy. I tried to think and beyond the basic “my family” and “my friends” I was really discouraged to realize that didn’t know what made me happy! This list has taken a while to develop, but I’m glad to have it for future reference if I’m every having a blah day.
1. A good YouTube video. This is a new favorite, but here’s a link to my ever-growing playlist of videos that make me laugh.
2. The humor section of Pinterest. I look at this section of Pinterest when I’m bored or sad. Usually bored. I try not to look at it too much in public because it makes me laugh out loud, REALLY loud. It recently produced this gem:
3. Cuddling with dogs (especially puppies). This is scientifically proven to make people happier, so it’s no surprise. The dog pictured is my standard poodle, Shep, who died almost 2 years ago. So for now, I have to borrow other peoples’ pups.
4. A chai latte (especially from Onion Creek). These are good hot or iced, and Onion Creek in the Heights has the best chai latte I’ve ever had. There is just something so comforting about them!
5. Singing along to musical soundtracks. I sang in the school choir in junior high and high school, and even a semester in college. My singing muscles aren’t in great shape these days, but I still love belting out some showtunes in the car.
6. Disney movies. I think there is just something comforting about watching an old animated movie. Even though they almost always involve the death of a parent, they usually have happy endings. And songs to sing along to (see above).
7. Getting mail. I mean duh, who doesn’t love this? It doesn’t happen often, but every now and then I’ll get an invitation to something, or a thank you note, or a letter from my Compassion International sponsored child (my favorite kind of mail). Regardless of the type of mail (as long as it’s not junk), something in the mail with my name on it makes me smile every time!
8. Pumpkin bread from Starbucks. This is probably horrible for me but I love it. Love love love it.
9. Cooking/baking things that people love. I really need to work on getting some of my favorite recipes up here, but here are links to a couple EASY desserts that always get amazing feedback: Two ingredient pumpkin muffins and Nutella cookie cups (on the latter, I use pre-made cookie dough to make it even easier).
10. Getting a great deal. This is why I love going to the J.Crew Factory Outlet when I’m feeling down. Not because shopping/buying things makes me feel better, but because I love knowing I got a good deal. The J.Crew outlet has lower prices already, plus outlet discounts, plus I get 15% off with my school ID. It shows on the receipt how much I saved and it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside!
Can you think of 10 things off the top of your head that make YOU happy? Now that I’ve finally come up with my list, I can think of a few more: feeding giraffes at the zoo, buying the perfect present for somebody, reading a thoughtful note in a card, playing with happy babies/toddlers. But coming up with those first 10 was definitely a challenge. If you write a list like this I’d love to see it, so link in the comments!